It is always a good idea to do your homework thoroughly. Set aside the necessary resources to make a meticulous specification of requirements.
What do you want to achieve with your webshop?
It may be a good idea to start at a low cost strategy and save the more prominent chrome-plated digital strategies for later. For example, you can start by defining what business goals you want to achieve with your webshop.
Consider the following aspects:
- Which market do you want to target with your webshop? B2C, B2B or maybe B2A (seller / agent solution)
- Which webshop ERP integration do you want? (name, version, and type of database)
- If you use variants, what structure do you have on the item numbers?
- Is device management used? Do you use, for example, whole or half packages?
- How would you like stock status to work - is stock status available on variants? Should customers be able to filter on the products and on what parameters?
- Shipping calculation? Do you want to integrate with Consigner or another shipping provider?
- Consider the languages and currencies you want to use, do you want to differentiate prices depending on the country?
- Remember thorough process descriptions on everything from item creation to order selection
- Who in your company should be involved in the daily operations of the webshop?
How do you ensure the future of your new webshop?
Choose a webshop solution that integrates with your ERP system and easily can be updated when you update your ERP system. It can end up costing you a fortune if you have to start over with the integration whenever you are facing an update. Remember to get an estimate of what this will cost before you sign the contract.
In a time with many major and minor software changes, the ability to handle ongoing updates in your webshop is crucial. Customizations to your webshop can be expensive and can block subsequent updates. Keep in mind that the cost of customizations is not only due to consulting hours but, to a great extent, also to the maintenance of the issues they may cause in the future. Therefore, choose a system that includes ongoing updates – it will reduce your total cost of ownership.
With this in mind, it is recommended that you:
- Ask for references from your supplier to ensure they have resolved similar cases
- Clarify whether your supplier has good responsive designs available
- Check if the software allows you to work with and change the design yourself – do you have access to the CSS files, for example?
- Check if the software has a promotion code/voucher functionality built-in
- Ensure that the software you choose allows product-level filtering and that the webshop uses a logical search function
How should your webshop solution support your marketing?
Of course, your marketing strategy differs depending on whether you are targeting the B2B-market, B2C-market, or something third – but some elements will be relevant regardless of your market focus. For example, the quality of your product texts and good quality product images that should always be named in relation to the product. Consider whether your product texts contain the right information and whether they can be written in a more selling and appealing way. It may be a good idea to use SEO resources to optimize the relevant texts on product and category pages. In this case, a skilled SEO partner can do a lot and contribute with specific SEO webshop tips, but you can easily do the basics yourself.
Think about whether you want to use YouTube and 360-degree images on your webshop as well as on social media for example Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, etc. to provide a more dynamic experience and provide information to your customers. A loyalty program can be an effective way to build relationships with your customers, market products, and gain additional sales through personalized discounts and offers. However, if you want to implement a loyalty program, it should be implemented in the marketing and development plan from the beginning, because it is of great importance for your choice of webshop solution.